Math Placement Test
Preparing for the Placement Test
It is possible to familiarize yourself with the ALEKS program, take a
practice test, and
get a few hours of practice in its use before actually taking the
Math Placement Test. To do so,
see Preparing for the Placement Test.
practice can be obtained through an
tutorial available from the B-W Bookstore.
Scheduling a Placement Test
The Math Placement Test is taken online through a website called ALEKS
(Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces). The test must be taken on
campus by scheduling an appointment.
To schedule an appointment, and for questions about the
Professor Maria Mathews
Math Placement Administrator
Math & Computer Science
(440) 826-6882 ext. 1
Taking the Placement Test
*Be sure to bring a Photo ID, paper and pencil, and a regular or
calculator (no graphing calculators allowed).
*Remember that this is to be done in a supervised setting.
- Go to the ALEKS website:
- Click 'Sign up Now' above the Registered Users box.
- THE TEST ADMINISTRATOR WILL PROVIDE THE COURSE CODE.
- Complete the Answer Editor Tutorial (the test is not
Note: If you are familiar with the program, keep clicking 'next' to
through more quickly.
- You will then be given an "assessment" containing
approximately 30 questions - this IS the Placement Test.
Some General Information
- Each question is based on your previous response. Thus, the
is different each time and for each person.
- You will not be told whether your responses are correct or
not - you will get your results at the end.
- Check your answers carefully before clicking 'enter' - you
cannot go back to previous questions.
- If you log out at any time, you will always return to the
same spot when you log back in.
What To Do Now
When you finish the test, ALEKS will show your pie charts and a bar with a
percentage. This is your Placement Score. This score represents how much
you know of the overall material, NOT how many questions you got
- If your score is > 40%, register for LAS 150.
- If your score is > 75%, register for a core MTH
- If your score is < 75%, register for COL 020 (Refresher
Note: You can purchase the ALEKS 6-week tutorial from the bookstore (or
http://bookstore.bw.edu). This will allow you to practice with ALEKS for
up to 6 weeks. Then, on the first day of COL 020 (or any time during the
semester), you can "test out" by scoring 75% or higher on an in-class
(440) 826-6882 ext 1